Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tax Man

I thought a somewhat patriotic picture would be appropriate for paying taxes. The "I'd rather be knitting" quip has crossed my mind more than once today, but not as much as "I'd rather be weeding." It may sound strange, but it is an absolutely beautiful day and there is just something wonderfully satisfying in digging out those nasties by the roots.

The bags are reversible project bags I made for the Sisters of the Wool Ravelympics team. Yes, we had a knitting competition right along with the athletic competition. Four of us finished what we set out to do. I need to wash & block my hat before I show it off properly. I have "medals" that say "Captain," "Hat Half-Pipe," and "Designer Original Dance." Those are just clip art, but I did buy the pin with the same artwork and 2010 written on it.

Brief note on the homestead front: the vegetable garden is struggling a bit because there is too high of a clay content in our soil. As soon as the taxes are done I'll be working on a better mixture for the three boxes that were not planted, then fixing what we can on the first five. The potatoes that were planted on a lark from some store-bought fingerling potatoes (in red, white, and blue, of course!) are doing really well. I'll post a link to the design instructions for the potato box in a later post.

2 comments:

Angeluna said...

Garden...dig in peat moss, lots and lots and lots of peat moss. Sand also helps cut the clay. And then something like cedar or a mulch like that which takes longer to absorb.

The peat moss doesn't last but a year or two, but it will give you a much more acidic soil.

TheDrollEclectic said...

We actually have some in the boxes because we are trying to use up a bag we already have on hand, but will not be purchasing anymore. Some points as to why are brought up in this article:

http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/2009/04/ken-druse-dishes-the-dirt-about-peat-moss.html